This pandemic is really no joke. It has crippled the economy and changed our routines. Just when we all thought it is safe to step out, the number of cases goes up again.
The latest news from the Fitchburg Senior Center is that they will evaluate if August opening is practical. This will be done in July. In the mean time, I have surveyed participants of our weekly classes and most are NOT ready to meet inside in July but all are ready to meet outdoors.
Kathryn have discussed this possibility with Barb and Don (our hosts at Co-housing for Tue class) and we think it is possible to start meeting at a park near the Co-housing starting in July, July 7th to be exact.
There will be changes in the format of the classes to ensure everyone’s safety.
- Following the current guidelines, there will be no more than 10 people at each gathering. That means if Kathryn and I are there, we can only have 8 more people.
- Bring your own water bottles, towels, etc. No sharing.
- Maintain social distancing during practice, unless you are already in close proximity with your partner.
- Wear a face mask when not practicing taijiquan. The use of a mask is not suitable during practice as we will re-breathing a lot of CO2 and that’s not good for us.
- Wear a face shield, if available, while practicing.
- Maintain minimum social distancing of 6 feet unless you are already in close proximity at home.
- No hands on corrections.
- Fees will be collected through a no touch container or using a cashless system like Venmo. More details on this when I figure out how.
The Tuesday class will start on July 7th at 9am at Klief Park. Klief Park is one-half a block north from the Village Common House. The streets around the park are Charter, Orchard, Milton, and Bowen Court. Classes are still $10. Please note that there is no bathroom at the location, but it is possible to walk back to the Common House to use the bathroom there.
If you are interested in attending the Tuesday class, you can reserve a spot by emailing Barbara Maccrimmon at firstname.lastname@example.org. A maximum of 8 is all we can take now.
As for other days, I would like to propose the following. Please send me an email (email@example.com) to express your interest in any of these classes and I will consider re-starting them. I’m very hesitant about starting too many classes at this time because of my compromised immune system. Here are the proposed times, locations, program and fees for a possible re-opening.
- Thursdays, 9am – 10am, McKee Farm Park (near the shelter) $10 per class, silk reeling only, max 8 people.
- Thursdays, 10am – 11am, McKee Farm Park (near the shelter) $10 per class*, LaoJiaYiLu, , max 8 people.
- Saturdays, 9am – 10am, McKee Farm Park (near the shelter) $10 per class, LaoJiaYiLu, , max 8 people.
- Saturdays, 10am – 11am, McKee Farm Park (near the shelter) $10 per class*, Weapons, , max 8 people.
*- $10 per class per day. If attending both 9am and 10am class, then it is still $10.